France cites likely MERS case; WHO notes Qatar case

first_imgFrance today reported a probable Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) case in a person who recently traveled to Saudi Arabia, while the World Health Organization (WHO) offered new details on a MERS case reported in Qatar yesterday.The patient in France is a 43-year-old who recently returned from Saudi Arabia, the French health ministry said in a statement, but it did not specify whether the patient attended the Hajj pilgrimage in mid-October. The patient was hospitalized in northern France yesterday and is in stable condition, the statement said.The Hajj attracted more than a million foreign visitors to Saudi Arabia and sparked worries about the risk of a MERS explosion. So far no cases have been reported in Hajj pilgrims.The French health ministry launched an epidemiologic investigation and has informed all the patient’s contact of the case and advised them to take precautions, the statement said.If the case is confirmed, it will be the third MERS case in France. A 65-year-old man was found to have the virus in early May, after he got sick following an April vacation in the United Arab Emirates, and another man contracted the disease after sharing a hospital room with him.Meanwhile, the WHO confirmed Qatar’s seventh MERS case, which was reported by the media yesterday. The agency said the patient, a 23-year-old man, works in an animal barn owned by Qatar’s last previous case-patient. The latter was a 61-year-old man who owned a farm with camels, sheep, and chickens, according to previous reports.A news report had said the new case-patient was asymptomatic, but the WHO said, “The man developed mild symptoms of illness and is in good condition. Preliminary investigations revealed that he did not recently travel outside the country.”The WHO did not specify whether the 23-year-old is a Qatari citizen or not. A news report yesterday described him as an expatriate.Recent studies showed that camels in Egypt, Oman, and the Canary Islands carried antibodies to MERS-CoV or a closely related virus, which fed the suspicion that camels may have spread the virus to humans. The virus is related to coronaviruses found in bats, but its animal reservoir has not been pinned down.With the Qatar case, the WHO increased its global MERS-CoV count to 145 cases with 62 deaths. The WHO has not yet acknowledged three new cases that were reported in Saudi Arabia yesterday.In other developments, the Saudi Ministry of Health today posted online English-language announcements of MERS-CoV cases over the past few weeks that were previously described only in Arabic statements. The statements generally match what was previously stated in machine-translated statements and press accounts, but they provide a bit more information in some cases.A statement dated Oct 26 announces the three cases that were reported yesterday in a machine-translated version, involving three cases in the Eastern province. The English version provides the patients’ genders: an 83-year-old woman, a 54-year-old man, and 49-year-old man.Two separate statements dated Oct 18 cover the cases of a 73-year-old man and a 54-year-old man, both from Riyadh. The younger man’s case occurred in the Eastern region. Both were being treated in intensive care units.An announcement dated Oct 9 reported two fatal cases in Riyadh, involving a 78-year-old male citizen and a 55-year-old man, both of whom had chronic diseases.The MOH site offers no explanation as to why the English-language announcements were not posted when the cases were first reported.See also: Oct 29 French health ministry statement (in French)FluTrackers post with translation of French health ministry statementOct 29 WHO statement on Qatar caseOct 18 CIDRAP News item about sixth Qatar caseSaudi MOH MERS-CoV page linking to English-language statementslast_img read more

Bluetest Celebrating 20 Years in the Wireless Test Industry

first_imgBluetest, a pioneer and world leader in innovative wireless test solutions with focus on Over-the-Air (OTA) testing and is now celebrating its 20th year in the industry. The company is headquartered in Gotherburg Sweden and was founded in the year 2000 by Professor Per-Simon Kildal.In their first decade, Bluetest focused on reducing test time, investment cost and complexity compared with traditional OTA test methods. The much improved third generation of Reverberation Test System (RTS), the HP700 added further test capability and provided a path forward to the first OTA test solution for MIMO-enabled LTE and WLAN devices.In 2012 the company’s reverberation chamber was widely adapted as wireless device measurement method and Bluetest delivered its 100th system. Bluetest opened sales and support offices in China and North America, and moved into a new headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden, doubling their office space.During the following years, the main focus was on supporting of the introduction of LTE-Advanced features such as enhanced MIMO and carrier aggregation. A larger chamber, the RTS90, comes to good use for the customers wanting to test larger IoT devices or perform life-like wireless tests with real persons.In 2015, Bluetest brings out the 5th generation OTA test system, with RTS65 system being the best seller. New usability features improved user productivity and enhanced automation and integration of more test instruments supported the latest wireless solutions.Gefle Testteknik (GTT) was acquired by Bluetest in 2017, adding skills and expertise within base station testing as well as production testing to the organization. GTT is a Swedish-based cutting-edge test technology provider for customers including some of the biggest players on the mobile infrastructure market, founded in 2010.Bluetest has global sales through dedicated distributors along with local sales and support offices in China and North America. Its customers include mobile phone manufacturers, wireless network operators, test institutes and universities, antenna, laptop and IoT device manufacturers, to mention a few.Entering the 20th year of operation with a 40% expansion of the Gothenburg premises, Bluetest is working harder than ever. Continuing innovations have resulted in an increased patent portfolio and greater customer value. Innovative products and solutions support the ongoing introduction of 5G, targeting both 5G device characterization as well as massive MIMO base station testing.last_img read more

Listen to 90 Seconds of Indians Pitcher Trevor Bauer Mic’d Up in His First Spring Start

first_img Related TopicsIndiansTrevor Bauer Matt Loede Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer was having some fun during his first spring training start against the Rangers, looking to reach a certain speed on the radar gun, and also wondering (as he put it) why a ‘smurf’ was allowed on the field in Goodyear.Check out this great video with Bauer during the Tribe’s matchup with Texas. Got mic’d up by @Watch_Momentum for my most recent spring training start. If you like this type of content, tag the player you’d most like to hear mic’d up next! You won’t, @Mike_Anthony13 @mlb @MLBNetwork @SportsTimeOhio @barstoolsports @Starting9 pic.twitter.com/7hrhBzg8nB— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) February 27, 2019center_img Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE.last_img read more

‘Realistic’ that Manchester United agree transfer terms today – Player can…

first_imgBild report Manchester United and the Bundesliga club are on the ‘verge of a breakthrough’ and that there were positive talks on Thursday evening.The Premier league club have been open to Werder taking Chong on a two year loan, without a buying clause, but the move hit problems when it came to finances. Werder were taken aback when United demanded both a loan fee and asked the German club to pay all of the 20 year old’s wages for the loan period.As far as Bild are concerned, Manchester United are now softening on the wage stance, and things are so advanced that it’s ‘realistic’ a deal can be agreed on Friday.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has given his agreement to the transfer, and it’s again stated the move could be done early. Werder Bremen are set to travel to their preseason training camp today, and the German newspaper suggest Chong could join up with them on Friday evening.That would mean him missing the remaining Europa League matches, and having no holiday before getting to work with Werder.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameBuild a Beautiful City and Play With Your FriendsForge of Empires – Free Online GameUndoInvest With VICShe collects rental-like income every month! See how she does it!Invest With VICUndoNessa HearingPeople in Singapore Born Before 1965 Eligible for Free Hearing Aid TrialNessa HearingUndoDBS”I had S$9 left in my bank account”DBSUndoWealthMastery.asiaThis Singaporean Couple is Disrupting A $3 Trillion IndustryWealthMastery.asiaUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoSingtelGet 30GB for $25 on SG’s #1 network.SingtelUndoGOMO by Singtel.Switch to GOMO. 40GB for $20 for 12 months!GOMO by Singtel.UndoSingtel PowerInstant savings and a $50 rebate.Singtel PowerUndo Werder Bremen seem to be coming out of their panic that a deal for Tahith Chong will collapse and are again bathing themselves in optimism.last_img read more

Townsend excels at Khao Kheow

first_imgFriday, Jan. 20, The Emerald – StablefordCSS 751st Graham Davis (8) 34pts2nd John Tallett (24) 31pts3rd Markku Tynell (21) 30pts4th Andrew Purdie (7) 29pts5th Shuichi Kodaka (17) 29pts6th John Carlin (18) 29pts Monday, Jan. 16, Mt. Shadow (blue tees) – StablefordCSS 74Division 1 (0–18) Division 2 (19+)1st Yukio Kikuchi (19) 35pts2nd Tony O’Neil (22) 29pts3rd Pat Murphy (24) 27pts4th Graham Howard (26) 27pts5th Dave Paul (25) 27pts Wednesday, Jan. 18, Khao Kheow A & C – StablefordCSS 741st Kevin Townsend (12) 35pts2nd Brian Libbey (11) 33pts3rd Stuart Brown (13) 33pts4th Alan Hanlon (13) 32pts5th Yukio Kikuchi (19) 32pts6th Phil Stevenson (26) 32pts It was a very hard week’s golf when all the courses played were very tough, due mostly to the wet underfoot conditions and all of the CSS’s went out, with Mountain Shadow’s moving two to 74.P.J. Mitchell returned to lead in the first division with a very solid round that did not include any zeros and closed out the back nine with 19 points for the narrowest of wins.Mark Williams won a count back for second place with a better 18 to 17 after taking three points from the last hole, to leave Kevin Townsend in third after he had recorded a double bogey for a singleton.  Graham Davis slipped into fourth ahead of Bruce Kusyk who had promised much after finishing the front nine in first place in the division.The second division was taken by Yukio Kikuchi, well ahead of the rest of the group as they all struggled to keep the ball in play around the very tight layout.Tony O’Neil took second place ahead of a three-way count back which Pat Murphy won with the best 19, with Graham Howard fourth on 13 and Dave Paul missing a great opportunity after collapsing to just nine points through the last nine holes.There were no 2s in the first division but P.J. Mitchell added to his day’s haul with the sole one in the second division.Kevin Townsend. The last outing of the week was the hardest, with the added difficulty of the pin placements that would not have been out of place on a Sunday for one of the Major Championship competitions.  In conjunction with very fast greens this made even the most proficient putters look very ordinary, with some even putting off the green on the first attempt.Graham Davis handled the conditions best, winning the day with a three stroke margin after finishing very strongly and taking eight points from the last three holes to seal his first win of his current visit.John Tallett ran Graham closest but faded a little after a bright start that promised more and had to settle for a well-earned second place.Markku Tynell returned to organise the day and did enough to take third place but a very ragged first five holes on the back-nine had spoiled his chances for the day.Andrew Purdie then won a three-way count back to take fourth place with a best 19 points after a surprising low opening half.  That left Shuichi Kodaka in fifth with 13 and John Carlin in sixth with just 11.Graham Davis carded a stunning ‘2’ on the par four 17th with an eight iron from 110 yards following a laser like 240-yard drive down the middle to claim the first division 2s pot, while Joe Torrick had a hole to remember on the 159-yard 5th hole after his caddy had given him a line that involved putting with his back to the target and then watching it curl 180 degrees into the hole.Graham Davis.P.J. Mitchell. Another day when the course definitely got the better of the field, and one which saw the CSS go out two strokes.Kevin Townsend made up for his previous disappointment, staying with it right through to the end of the round and scoring ten points from the last four holes to win by two ahead of a count back for second and third that was won by Brian Libbey, with a strong 19 points to push new member Stuart Brown down to third.Alan Hanlon then won another count back for fourth with a better 17 as Yukio Kikuchi finished fifth with 16 and Phil Stevenson sixth with 15.Debutant Stuart Brown made a happy start with the group when he cleaned out the first division 2’s pot with his solo effort whilst Brandan Dunne had the only ‘2’ in the second division to clean out their pool.Yukio Kikuchi. 1st PJ Mitchell (18) 34pts2nd Mark Williams (8) 33pts3rd Kevin Townsend (12) 33pts4th Graham Davis (8) 32pts5th Bruce Kusyk (13) 31pts IPGC Golf from The Havenlast_img read more

Cricket: Shikhar Dhawan’s blitz guides India to a series whitewash

first_imgAdvertisement 19dfNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsb2rWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E98ol( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 9p4cWould you ever consider trying this?😱c40Can your students do this? 🌚farRoller skating! Powered by Firework (Photo Courtesy: BCCI)Advertisement Team India, inspired by a 92 from Shikhar Dhawan coasted to victory in the 3rd and final T20 vs the Windies at Chennai, despite the scare in the final over. Dhawan along with Pant added 130 runs for the 3rd wicket to guide India home.Advertisement Windies who came into the match after losing the first two encounters, elected to bat first in a bid to avoid further humiliation. Their openers, Shai Hope and Shimron Hetmyer got their team off to a solid start scoring 51 runs in the powerplay.Chahal, who came into the side in place of Kuldeep Yadav soon entered into the attack and removed both the openers. Darren Bravo then joined hands with Dinesh Ramdin to continue the innings. Ramdin, who had got of to a good start, soon fell after losing his stumps to the homeboy Washington Sundar.Advertisement At this stage, Windies were at 94-3 at the end of 13 overs. They needed some crucial contribution from the incoming batsmen if they were to post a good total on the board. Just as they wished, they got their much needed finisher.Nicholas Pooran entered the crease and wasted no time in getting a move on. He scored a brilliant knock of 53* in just 25 balls that comprised of 4 fours and 4 sixes. His innings was brilliantly complemented on the other end by Darren Bravo, who ended with a score of 43*. The pair added 87 runs between themselves to help Windies post a total of 181 in their quota of 20 overs.The experienced pair of Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan knew that they had their task cut out. India lost Rohit early, as he was caught by Brathwaite in the 3rd over. KL Rahul then came in and continued to keep the required run rate in check, getting off to a quick start. But he too fell soon for 17, failing to convert his good start.At this stage things looked difficult for team India, as they needed another 137 runs in 88 balls. But the pair of Dhawan and Pant then joined hands to take the game away from the visitors.The initial overs between the pair saw them not time the ball well. The required run rate also shot up to 10. But post the midway mark, the pair found their way and took control of the game. Poor bowling from the Windies saw the game slip away from their grasp.Dhawan and Pant started to display their A-game, bringing up India’s hundred in just 11.5 overs. Dhawan, who soon reached his half century had his sights clearly set on the three figure mark. Meanwhile, Pant, showcased his class, playing his trademark shots behind the wicket and collecting some cheeky boundaries.After Pant reached this 50, it was now just a matter of time before team India wrapped up the game. Needing another 8 runs from 12 balls, they were expected to cruise home. But Pant lost his middle stump in the very next over to open the game for a late twist. Incoming Pandey could manage only 2 runs in the remaining four balls of the over.With India needing 5 of the last over, they lost Dhawan too, holding out to Pollard after he looked to seal the game with a big six. Pandey then along with Karthik guided the hosts home of the last ball, avoiding a late upset.The win sees India wrap up the series 3-0. Shikhar Dhawan won the man of the match for his match winning knock of 92 while Kuldeep Yadav received the man of the series. The game thus concludes the home series vs Windies. India will now travel to Australia to take them on in a 3 match T20 series that commences from 21st November.India 182 for 4 (Dhawan 92, Pant 58) beat West Indies 181 for 3 (Pooran 53*, Bravo 43*) by six wickets.Also Read:Cricket: Film Director Anubhav Sinha lends his support in favour of Virat Kohli Advertisementlast_img read more

Pollen warning for asthma patients

first_imgBy Bonny Burrows Kooweerup Regional Health Service (KRHS) is urging residents to take precautionary measures against thunderstorm asthma this spring….[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img