Sarah Champion has become the second Labour MP to

first_imgSarah Champion has become the second Labour MP to say they would accept no deal over no Brexit.Appearing on BBC’s Politics Live this afternoon, the MP for Rotherham said: “For our democracy, I think we have to leave. Therefore, if it came to it, I would take no deal, if that meant we could leave. Because we have to leave.”Asked why she didn’t vote for Theresa May’s deal, Champion explained that she was hoping the Prime Minister would make further concessions and MPs would be able to vote on a deal more similar to Labour’s alternative Brexit plan.Caroline Flint is the only other Labour MP to have said they would prefer no deal to no Brexit.Labour MP Sarah Champion on #Brexit without a deal“If it came to it, I would take no deal, if that meant we could leave, because we have to leave”#politicslive https://t.co/lIzhxIMUfH pic.twitter.com/CrONbiDele— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) July 16, 2019 Tags:Labour /Sarah Champion /Brexit /no deal /last_img read more

THE Scholarship U16s made their second trip in a f

first_imgTHE Scholarship U16s made their second trip in a fortnight to the East Coast to face the City of Hull Academy. This time they were facing a side bolstered by the five players who had been on Greta Britain duty in France but also had their own three tourists back in the fold, writes Graham Henthorne.Unfortunately the game was decided by a refereeing blunder that your correspondent has never seen the like of in all his years watching the game.Early in the second half the home side created an overlap down their left. The lively scrum half floated a pass out to his winger who had a stroll into the corner. The referee blew his whistle and shouted forward pass. The whole of the Saints contingent blew a huge sigh of relief and most importantly all 13 players stopped in their tracks.Consequently, when seconds later the ref waved play on none of them were in any state to make any kind of play to stop the winger promoting the ball to behind the sticksAs you can imagine this caused uproar in the Saints ranks to which the refs only reply was: “Sorry, I got it wrong. It wasn’t forward. Sorry”.When it was pointed out that our players had stopped, he again apologised but then awarded the try under the sticks anyway!Now I’m no connoisseur of the rules and I’m ready to be corrected by anyone with greater knowledge, but I’m fairly certain that any mistake like that, when the whistle has been blown, has to be restarted with a scrum to the side in possession not allowed to play on.Had the try been scored in the corner, which would have been the right outcome originally, the conversion would have been from the touchline which is a different proposition than from under the black dot.Having said all the above the game was all that it promised to be and the above aside one that again the 16s could and probably should have won.The home side started like a house on fire ready to show those upstarts from across the Pennines that they weren’t going to win this time and it took fabulous last ditch tackling from firstly Tom Nisbett and then Jack Welsby (on his Saints debut) and Ben Sims to save certain tries. But they finally broke through as their speedy left winger scored in the corner.But the Saints came roaring back with two tries of their own to take a commanding lead.A great short ball from Christian Kellett put Sam Royle away only for the big prop to be pulled down short. From the play the ball Paul Nash burrowed through to score.The second was a great piece of individual play from winger Nisbett. Having been caught by an overlap for the first try he spotted the same situation again but this time diffused it with a fabulous interception. He then stood the full back up before rounding him and outpaced the cover to the corner for a wonderful try.Poor tackling down the middle allowed Hull to draw closer as the second row broke through to score and yet more try saving tackling from Welsby, Dave Griffiths and Eddie McLorie was required as the home side came back into it.The Saints should have extended their lead on the stroke of half time as centre Sean Croston had the ball knocked from his grip over the line and the try was lost.After the break the saints Achilles heel showed itself as they conceded two tries in the first ten minutes.But as they have in all their other games they responded in fantastic fashion spending virtually the rest of the half in opposition territory.After the restart Croston intercepted on half way. Three tackles later and some neat interplay from Lewis Gartland and Sims resulted in a drop off to Welsby and some great footwork saw the Stand-off in for the try.The Saints were in Hull’s faces constantly forcing the home side into errors but were fortunate in the try which brought the scores level.A grubber on the last rebounded to Croston who grubbered again before winning the race to the touchdown. Crucially the conversion was missed and the scores remained level.Hooker Nash blotted an otherwise spotless copy book minutes from the end as he dropped the ball over the line but in the final ten minutes the Saints spurned three penalty kicks to touch choosing to run the ball instead and also didn’t attempt a drop goal which would have earned them the spoils.A draw kept alive the proud record that in 2016 all the Saints Junior sides are still unbeaten.It was probably a fair result but as touched on earlier the way it came about left a little sour taste in the mouth.However, as any player from yesteryear will tell you, a draw away from home is winning pay, and this Saints side should feel immense pride in the past two weeks. Not many sides go to Hull in such quick succession and come away with anything let alone coming away with two such good performances.This team is growing together as a group and even though we might all wish they didn’t get themselves in a hole in the first place, when they do they respond and dig themselves out.Match Summary:Hull U16s:Tries: Elliott Wallis (5 & 37), Barnaby Teasdale (25), Robbie Storey (44).Goals: Joe Rustill 3.St Helens U16s:Tries: Paul Nash (12), Tom Nisbett (17), Jack Welsby (47), Sean Croston (58).Goals: Mike Wynn 3.Half Time: 12-10Full Time: 22-22Teams:Hull:1. Joe Rustill; 5. Lewis Todd, 3. Gabe Hawtree, 4. Robbie Storey, 2. Elliott Wallis; 6. Harry Whittles, 7. Harrison Morrow; 8. Jack Brown, 9. Jordan Webster, 10. Kai Thorpe, 11. Barnaby Teasdale, 12. Adam Rooks, 13. Callum Tranmer. Subs: 14. Kieran Sewell, 15. Charlie Patterson-Lund, 16. Brad Elliott, 17. Tom Burke, 18. Tom Burnett, 19. George Tyson-Wilson.Saints:1. David Griffiths; 2. Tom Nisbett, 3. Jake Sculthorpe, 4. Sean Croston, 5. Jake Pass; 6. Jack Welsby, 7. Mike Wynn; 8. Christian Kellett, 9. Paul Nash, 10. Sam Royle, 11. Ben Sims, 12. Eddie McLorie, 13. Matthew Ashcroft. Subs: 14. Ryan Horne, 15. Reece Jackson, 16. Luke Maloney-Ward, 17. Louis Brogan, 18. Adam Hooper, 19. Callum Cooke, 20. Lewis Gartland.last_img read more

WPD Person of interest identified in Marines shooting death

first_img Police spokeswoman Jennifer Dandron says no charges have been filed yet, but wants to ease concerns that this was an isolated incident.No word yet on the circumstances surrounding the shooting.According to GySgt. Christopher Giannetti with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, Cpl. Estrada joined the Marine Corps in July of 2014 and was promoted to corporal in July.Related Article: Man injured during afternoon shooting in WilmingtonDuring his time in the Marines, he had received the Good Conduct Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the National Defense Service Medal.“We are currently working with NCIS and local law enforcement to conduct a thorough investigation and determine the facts of the incident,” Gunnery Sgt. Giannetti said in a news release.Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo told the StarNews Monday Estrada “was attempting to get into the premise or the business and the gentleman confronted him with a gun and killed him. Preliminarily it looks like self defense.”Cpl. Estrada was a CH-53 helicopter mechanic assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464, Marine Aircraft Group 29. He was from Los Angeles. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) —  Wilmington Police confirm there is a person of interest in the shooting death of a Jacksonville Marine.Cpl. Edwin Estrada, 27, was found fatally shot in the 200 block of North Front Street around 6:15 a.m. Sunday.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Investigators still waiting on Paitin Fields autopsy report

first_imgPhoto of Paitin Fields at the beach. (Photo: Family) PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — It’s been almost two months since 5-year-old Paitin Fields died from an assault.WWAY reached out to the Pender County Sheriff’s Office for anymore details. The Pender County Sheriff’s Office said they’re still waiting on the autopsy report to come in.- Advertisement – Medical examiners said they have 180 days to complete the autopsy, which means they have roughly about four months until they have to release the details of the autopsy.There are still no arrests in the case.last_img read more

Robeson County has the worst crash rating in state NCDOT wants to

first_img(Photo: MGN Online) Robeson County, N.C. (WPDE) — For the past five years, Robeson County has had the worst crash rating in all of North Carolina.The average for the county is 43 highway deaths per year, based on the last five years of data. Columbus Co. was ranked #2 and Bladen Co. was ranked #7.- Advertisement – The North Carolina Department of Transportation is hoping to change that.The first meeting of the Robeson County Vision Zero Task Force is happening Thursday, Feb. 15 and will bring together community stakeholders who may be able to help change the dangerous driving culture in the county, according to Andrew Barksdale, NCDOT spokesman.The county has the worst crash ranking in the state, based on several factors that include the number of crashes and their severity, the number of fatalities and the residential population.Related Article: Oak Island bridge reopens ahead of scheduleBarksdale said a factor that needs to be considered is seat belt use.He said 42 percent of the fatal crashes in Robeson County involved people not wearing seat belts. The statewide average is 31 percent.“People in Robeson County are more prone to not wear a seat belt,” he said. “We need to figure out why.”The members of the task force are:Grady Hunt, an N.C. Board of Transportation member and the task force chairmanRobeson County Sheriff Ken SealeyDr. Robin Cummings, chancellor of UNC PembrokeDistrict Attorney Johnson BrittDr. Shanita Wooten, interim superintendent, Public Schools of Robeson CountyJoann Anderson, president and CEO, Southeastern HealthGail Albertson, transportation manager, Mountaire FarmsCounty Manager Ricky HarrisDr. Kimberly Gold, president, Robeson Community CollegeUNC Pembroke Police Chief McDuffie Cummings Jr.Sgt. Philip Collins of the N.C. Highway PatrolTravis Bryant, associate vice chancellor for campus safety and emergency operations, UNC PembrokePembroke Police Chief Edward LocklearThe first task force meeting will happen from 10 a.m. to noon at the Chavis University Center room 208 at UNC Pembroke.last_img read more

Teacher of the Week Lauren Flanagan

first_imgWILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Lauren Flanagan loves being a Pre-Kindergarten teacher at Mary Washington Howe Pre-K in Wilmington.  She loves it so much she wonders how others “sit at a desk all day!”“I feel very honored,” she says” that parents love sending their kids to me.  I hope I can make them and their kids feel as good as they make me feel.”- Advertisement – She is very quick to note that it is not easy to teach students under 4 years old.  She credits her assistant Gina Tavares with making their classroom a success.  “I know I can do anything because of Gina,” she says.Tavares shares her sentiment.  “I fee like we are a great team together,” she says, “she really loves (the kids) and I learn a lot from her.  I want her to feel appreciated.”Flanagan’s most important thought every day is to remember:  “I love these little guys and giving them their first experience is quite a blessing.”last_img read more

Storm washes away beloved memory on fishing pier family hopes it will

first_img “When you lose someone that’s very special to you and you make a memory for them, and then it’s gone, it kind of breaks your heart,” said Angela Wells.Wells shared many fond memories with her father John ‘Buz’ Wells at Sea View Fishing Pier in North Topsail Beach before he died in 2015.She and her father’s longtime partner Linda Woodlief say Buz fished on the pier just about every day, no matter the weather.Related Article: Family of patient who drowned in SC transport van speaks out“When it was raining, and nobody else (was) fishing but him, he said, I don’t know why they’re going in. He said, like Angela said, the fish don’t know if it’s raining or not, they’re still going to bite my hook,” said Woodlief.Woodlief says when he wasn’t fishing he was fixing old rods and reels or teaching kids to fish.“One of the kids had asked one of the older men, ‘would you show me what you do?’ And he said, ‘I don’t have time.’ And Buz told him, says ‘come here boy, I’ll show you something,” said Woodlief.After his death, Wells and Woodlief had a plaque made and installed at the end of the pier in Buz’s honor. That plaque was lost in Hurricane Florence along with about 200 feet of the Sea View Pier.“It was very emotional, it was. Because I’ve been on the end of this pier many a day. Just to come visit my dad, or wet a line,” said Wells.Wells and Woodlief are hoping the plaque will wash up on the beach and someone will find it and return it.“If you can find it, and you can return it, I would personally like to meet you,” said Wells.If you happen to find the plaque, Wells asks you to please mail it back to the pier, 123 Fishing Pier Lane, North Topsail Beach, NC 28460, and include your contact information. NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH, NC (WWAY) — So many people lost so much during Hurricane Florence and it’s just not home and belongings.One family is looking a beloved memory that may be lost at sea.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Why are animal cruelty cases on the rise in New Hanover County

first_img He says more of the department has been trained to recognize the signs of animal cruelty when responding to unrelated calls.“You could have a deputy go on a domestic assault,” Lt. Brewer said. “They get there and they realize, oh wow, this is an issue here, let’s call in animal services. If you’re hurting an animal in New Hanover County, we’re coming for you.”Lt. Brewer says they also receive a lot of tips from concerned citizens.Related Article: Southport chief faces additional charge after indictmentHe says each case is different and some pet owners just need to be educated on the laws. Dog at the New Hanover County Animal Shelter (Photo: WWAY) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Animal abuse cases are up in New Hanover County, but are more people actually abusing animals? Sheriff’s office spokesman Lieutenant Jerry Brewer says no.Lt. Brewer says Sheriff Ed McMahon has ramped up the animal services unit by bringing in a former vice narcotics detective, a former homicide detective, and a deputy certified in canine and feline investigations.- Advertisement – last_img read more

2000 reward offered in 2018 murder of Wilmington man

first_imgPolice respond to a shooting at 5th and Harnett Streets on July 30, 2018 (Photo: Andrew James/WWAY). WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — It’s been nearly a year since a Wilmington man was shot and killed on Harnett Street and so far, no arrests have been made.Now, Crime Stoppers of New Hanover County is offering a $2,000 reward to anyone with credible information that leads to the arrest of the suspect in the Reubin Irvin homicide.- Advertisement – On Monday, July 30, 2018, officers responded to the 500 block of Harnett Street around 12:45 a.m. after receiving a ShotSpotter notification.When they arrived, officers found Irvin, 31, with gunshot wounds.He was transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center where he later died.Related Article: Suspect wanted in downtown Wilmington hit-and-run arrestedIn February, Irvin was a featured case on WWAY’s Unsolved series.Police believe this was an isolated incident. IfRueben Irvin (Photo: Contributed)you have any information, contact Text-a-Tip or call Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 531-9845. All calls and text are anonymouslast_img read more

CDC 31 percent of Florencerelated ER visits for prescription refills

first_imgTablets out of a medicine bottle (Photo: Pixabay) SOUTHEASTERN, NC (WWAY) — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting that one-third of emergency room visits during Hurricane Florence were for prescription medicine refills.After conducting a study on Florence-related ER visits, the CDC determined 58 of the 185 visits made during the hurricane were for prescription refills. At least 69 percent of those were due to pharmacies being closed.- Advertisement – The North Carolina Department of Public Safety recommends adding prescription medicine to emergency kits.In North Carolina, prescription refills are available without a doctor’s authorization once a State of Emergency is declared.The CDC says automated pharmacy notifications encouraging patients to refill medications before a potential natural disaster have resulted in small increases in medication refills.last_img read more